My first job was a hostess at a semi-posh Italian restaurant called Perry's Italian Grille. Literally, the day I turned 16 and old enough to get a job, I was drug (kicking and screaming) down to this restaurant and basically said "You're getting a job here." I wish I had crazy stories about this place. I don't. It was a typical hostess job and it was a pretty nice job for a 16-year-old to have.
What's more interesting is my college job when I worked at:
BOW CHICKA WOW WOW!
I worked there for about 4 years or so and it was the best college job! A lot of people can't handle the retail thing, but I loved it. I knew and loved everything about the business! I ended up being on the management team by the time I graduated college and started teaching. Greatest college job! I got a ton of free bras (I'm talking drawers full) and beauty stuff! Yeah, it's stressful and crazy, but I like an exciting job. Why do you think I currently teach and direct theatre?!
The time at VS definitely gives me some funny stories...
O.'s Noteworthy VS Moments:- One regular customer was a tranny
- Another regular customer was a stripper with a sugar daddy. She would drop $500 at a time on lingerie... no joke!
- I had a really normal middle-aged looking man come in (dressed professionally and all) telling me his wife wants him to wear a bra and panties to bed and if I could help him find something. He was completely serious. I kid you not.
- I was helping a male customer pick something out for his "girlfriend" and I asked him what size he needed. He looked at me and said, "Oh, I don't know. Maybe about your size? Turn around so I can take a look." I looked at him and said, "UH, no." Handed him off to another sales girl.
- I had this other "smooth guy" shopping for his "girlfriend" ask me if I could model some of the items he was considering. I wit-fully replied, "Let me get you a catalog instead."
- We did bra fittings. These very um, full-figured ladies would come in and say "I need a 34B." Obviously they weren't a 34B, so I politely asked, "When was the last time you were fitted for a bra?" And I fitted them. Some of these ladies were so big that we didn't carry their size. I felt terrible and said "You should go check out our sister store, Cacique (Lane Bryant)" when that store has no affiliation with VS whatsoever. They insisted they were a 34B and would go try that size on in the fitting room. Needless to say, the bras didn't fit. Poor gals.
- One of the stores I worked in (South Texas) I was one of the only white girls. I was surrounded by Latina Divas. They were awesome. I loved some of the things they would say, like "Oh, mamas, would you go get that for me?" "Mamas, besitos!!!" and the way they would say "noooOOO" and "hAAA?" (huh?) with their accents.
- I think two people were doing the dirty in a fitting room once. Obviously, I wasn't gonna walk in on that...
- People returned OBVIOUSLY WORN underwear. 'Nuff said. I wouldn't even dare touch that health hazard. I once even got a bunch of tissue paper to pick one up and wrap it and staple it up.... in front of the customer. Shows them not to return NASTY UNDERWEAR!
- This crazy fruity guy (I'm talking nucking futs) was determined to get as many free teddy bears as he could one Christmas when we were giving them out as a gift with a certain amount purchase. I had to ring up like 523834729 different transactions so he could get his freakin' teddy bears. He was whining at me the whole time about how he needed them. WTF?!
- I even had sentimental moments with customers. I helped frustrated women buy something very personal-- a bra. When they found one that fit right, they felt beautiful. A few women cried. I've gotten hugs. I've even had a $20 bill put in my hand, which I tried to give back. Tear. Sentimental. Makes all the crazies worth it.
Aw, brings back good memories! Now I have another set of crazy stories to tell! But that's my secret (har har) since I'd like to keep my current job!