This recipe is definitely one of my go to recipes. I got it from Weight Watchers, and it's only 6 points (if you're following WW). I'm actually not on Weight Watchers right now, but I love a lot of their recipes and I haven't found many I didn't like.
You typically associate lasagna with being high in fat and calories, but this one doesn't have that, although there is no skimp in flavor. You can even get a lil' cray-cray and add some other fun stuff, like spinach, fresh basil leaves, or maybe even some zucchini! Oooh, lawd!
Tomato & Pepper Lasagna Recipe
via Weight Watchers
24 oz. marinara sauce
1 c. canned diced tomatoes
1 c. skim ricotta cheese
1 c. part-skin mozzarella cheese
1 c. shredded parmesan cheese
¼ c. egg substitute
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp dried oregano
6 dry lasagna noodles
½ c. roasted red peppers, water packed, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small pot, combine marinara sauce and tomatoes; set over low heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses; stir to combine. Stir in egg substitute, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Spoon 1 c. sauce in bottom of an 11“ x 17” class baking dish. Arrange 2 lasagna noodles over sauce, down center of dish. Spread half of cheese mixture (1 c.) over noodles; top with pepper strips. Place 2 more noodles on top; spread with remaining cheese mixture. Top with 1 c. marinara sauce; place remaining 2 lasagna noodles on top. Spoon remaining sauce over top, sprinkle with more mozzarella (to taste) and gently press down on lasagna.
- Cover dish loosely with foil; bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake until cheese is slightly browned and noodles are tender when tested with a knife, about 10-15 minutes more. Remove from over and let sit for 5 minutes.
One Note: I typically add more lasagna noodles (2 on the bottom layer and 2 on the top layer). I know it makes the recipe more fattening, but oh well -- I'll stick to the recipe when I really need to be strict.
Happy Friday, lovelies!