One particular recipe he always talks about is Southwest Rollups. He loved it when his mom would make these and I definitely wanted to try my hand at it. It's a very simple recipe and can be modified to be low cal/fat by using whole wheat tortillas, low fat sour cream, cheese, and fat free refried beans.
It's a pretty great summer recipe, as it's not super heavy. They're kind of like enchiladas, but not as smothered... and they're almost like little burritos, but not. Haha! I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did! I wish I had gotten some photos of my batch, but I think they all got devoured before I had a chance to!
Mama O.'s Southwest Rollups
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 to 12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- Sour cream and additional salsa, optional
In a food processor; combine the first eight ingredients and 1/2 cup cheese; cover and process until smooth. Spread evenly over tortillas. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; let stand until cheese melts. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.