Updated October 28, 2020
When planning what to wear for family photos this year, I went to old faithful – Amazon. Amazon truly can be hit or miss when it comes to fashion pieces, so I buy 3-4 items that look promising and make returns. (That’s honestly my biggest piece of advice – buy a few options because they do free returns.)
Based on what everyone else in the family was wearing, I decided I wanted to go with something burgundy. I got a few options in, and while only one piece was actually burgundy, I found two winning items you are going to love as options for family photos or the holiday season. I’ll be doing another blog post on my family photos and what everyone else wore, but let’s talk about these two options first!
MY STATS: I am 5’6″, about 140 lbs and wear a size 6 in dresses and pants. Most of the time I fit in a lot of stuff labeled as “small” but also wear a lot of “medium.” I’m in between sizes in a lot of brands.
Burgundy Long Sleeve Swiss Dot Dress
This dress was the winner for family photos! I ordered a Medium in the Wine Red long sleeve color. It comes in sizes S-XXL, in a lot of colors, and also short sleeve – seriously so many options. The length and fit is perfect! I cannot get over how flattering and beautiful this dress looks in photos. I paired it with some ankle booties, but it could also be dressed up with heels or worn with flats.
Shop the Look:
Red Tie-Waist Wide Leg Cropped Jumpsuit
This jumpsuit is a serious winner, but you have to be aware of something. I ordered the “Burgundy” color and you can clearly see that it’s a bright red. It is not burgundy at all… it’s very much a holiday Christmas red. It didn’t work with the color palette I planned for my family to wear in photos, but gosh darn it… it’s so beautiful and it’s staying in my possession for the holiday season. I love the tie waist – super flattering. It also has a cropped wide leg, also super flattering. It is one of those throw on and look amazing pieces. I paired it with a pair of black block heels, but it could work well with flats or nude heels.
Shop the Look:
A Few Tips for Planning Outfits for Family Photos
- Most of the time, I usually pick my outfit first. If I find something I love, I tell my husband the color palette I’m going for.
- Greg is a pretty fashionable guy, so I will tell him a list of colors I’d like him to stick to, and he’ll show me options that he likes, and I give a thumbs up. We plan the both of us first and then the kids’ outfits are then planned.
- If everyone wears the same color it can be a little too much (sometimes it looks amazing, but I prefer to pick a color palette with all complementing colors).
- For example, this year we went with earthy jewel tones, with the main colors being burgundy, olive green, navy, and denim.
- One of my other favorite color palettes are neutrals – denim, grays, creams, browns, white, etc.
- Set everything out on the floor or on the bed and make sure it all looks great together.
- Plan in advance!
Hope this was helpful!