One of the biggest requests I get is to make suggestions for a drugstore makeup starter kit for beginners. I get overwhelmed at the task, thinking it needs to be perfect and withstand the test of time. That’s not realistic so I decided it would be great to do these yearly!
With that being said, today I put together a makeup kit for beginners on a budget – 2021 version! I have an in-depth video for you all to watch, and then all of my product suggestions are listed and linked below. I hope this is helpful and gives you a great starting point to building your collection!
Basic Makeup Kit for Beginners on a Budget 2021
Make sure you watch the video for all the details on each product and why I recommend what I do!
Basic Makeup Kit for Beginners List of Products
Here is my basic makeup kit for beginners list! I am linking everything at one retailer to make it easy to shop it all at once! Like I said in the video, I chose items that are easily accessible and will work with lots of skin types and tones.
- e.l.f. Poreless Putty Primer – great for creating a smooth canvas.
- L’Oreal Infallible Fresh Wear Foundation – I love the liquidy consistency, how it can be worn sheered out or built up, and that it really lasts well on the skin. I wear shade Vanilla.
- e.l.f. Camo CC Cream – a great alternative to the It Cosmetics CC Cream! I wear shade Light 210N.
- Wet ‘n Wild Tinted Hydrator – Terrible shade range but this is an amazing affordable tint. I wear shade Light.
- L.A. Girl Pro Concealer – I use the peach one to help correct dark under eye circles.
- e.l.f. Hydrating Camo Concealer – Beautiful coverage, natural finish, stays put really well! I wear shade Light Sand.
- no7 Lift & Luminate Triple Action Translucent Finishing Powder – I thought this was sold at Ulta, but it’s not! You’ll have to grab it at Target. This is a beautiful dupe to the Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush powder. I have it in shade Light.
- Maybelline Fit Me Loose Finishing Powder – Great dupe to the Laura Mercier translucent loose setting powder. One of my favorite loose powders! I have this in shade Fair/Light.
Bronzer, Blush & Highlighter
- Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer – Truly my holy grail bronzer. I wear shade Bronzer.
- e.l.f. Bite-Size Face Duo – Perfect little compact for blush and highlighter. All of the shades are amazing, and the formula is incredible.
- Essence Pure Nude Highlighter – This is a beautiful subtle glow! I love it to use as a highlighter or even use a light dusting over the face to help change the finish of my makeup to be more glowy!
Everything for Eyes
- Colourpop Nude Mood Eyeshadow Palette – Colourpop is one of my favorite affordable eyeshadow formulas. I picked the Nude Mood palette because it is neutral and everyday, but would recommend any of their small 9-pan palettes. The Blush Crush is another one of my favorites! I recommend any of their palettes!
- e.l.f. Bite-Size Eyeshadow Palette – These are incredible, and only $3! They come in a multitude of color stories. I thought this was perfect to suggest because you can pick what colors speak to you the most.
- Cover Girl TruNaked Queenship Shadow Stick – These eyeshadow sticks are a Laura Mercier Caviar Stick dupe! Love this cream shadow formula – easy to swipe on and go.
- Essence Lash Princess Mascara – My holy grail drugstore mascara! It lengthens, volumizes, and makes the lashes pop.
- Maybelline Master Precise Skinny Gel Pencil Eyeliner – I did not mention an eyeliner in the video, and it’s because I rarely use eyeliner. When I do, I use this skinny little retractable pencil. I love it so much – lasts really well even on the waterline.
- Milani Eyeshadow Primer – The best affordable eyeshadow primer!
- L.A. Girl Shady Slim Brow Pencil – I love a micro brow pencil, and this one is awesome!
- L’Oreal Brow Stylist Definer – This is the other drugstore brow pencil I love and repurchase.
- Cover Girl Easy Breezy Clear Brow Setting Gel – If you need a clear brow gel to set everything into place, I love this one!
Lips & Setting Sprays
- Cover Girl Exhibitionist Lip Liner in Caramel Nude – Sorry, I can’t find this at Ulta, but it’s on Amazon. My favorite neutral lip liner!
- Maybelline SuperStay Ink Crayon Lipstick – Love this lip crayon. The formula is amazing! All the shades are awesome, and there are lot to choose from.
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick – Really love this formula. Has a nice shine, super flattering on the lips, and easy to wear. Awesome shade range, too!
- Maybelline Lifter Gloss – Truly my new favorite lip gloss formula. Gorgeous juicy finish, doesn’t feel sticky, and very comfortable on the lips!
- Morphe Continuous Setting Mist –
- NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray – Another great one to pick up for a long lasting wear. They also have a dewy setting mist if you prefer that!
- 25-piece Makeup Brush Set – Has literally everything you’d ever need to create a makeup look. I am very picky when it comes to brush sets, and this one I truly love and recommend!
- Makeup Sponges – This is the best beauty blender dupe I’ve found! They come in a pack of 5 for under $10. Use my code MEGSAVE20 for 20% off!