Updated March 1, 2019
I recently purchased MAC’s Fluidline in Blacktrack. Yeah, I know — I’m sooooo tardy for the party. Whatever, y’all. Anyway, Fluidline is a cult favorite among gel eyeliners, alongside Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner. I was soooo excited to try it, since I’ve heard so many great things about gel eyeliner, particularly Fluidline.
– I feel that it is much easier to apply than pencil (self-sharpening or kohl), easier to smudge out for the smoky eye look, much more versatile (I can tightline or do a cat eye with the same brush) and much more predictable!
– This can be used with a small eyeliner brush, a flat one, or an angled one. I use the MAC 209 brush, and I looooove it. I feel that you don’t have to have a MAC brush to do this, though. I love EcoTools brushes (very high quality stuff), and they can be found at the drugstore.
– Consistency of the product is awesome. Very pigmented and thick. Dries very quickly, so if you want to smudge it out, you’ve gotta work quickly.
– While applying, I’ve noticed that you have to do one section of your eye at a time instead of pulling the product out across your lash line. It’s not more difficult, in fact I think applying this is much easier since it’s easier to control. It’s just different than what I’m used to!
– I’ve lined all the way into the corner of my eyes and the eyeliner doesn’t budge very much at all. After about seven hours or so, I noticed a little smudge, but nothing major.
– This stuff is going to last me a long time. I typically buy eye pencils (self-sharpening) about every month, so I am actually saving money by using this.
– I’ll say it again: much easier to apply than pencil since this offers you more control of how thick/thin you want the line and where you want it.