Updated February 28, 2019
This past weekend, I took Greg out for his birthday. We went to Trevisio, a gorgeous upscale modern Italian restaurant in the Medical Center. For dessert, they brought him out a tiramisu to celebrate his birthday. Greg said, “So, what exactly is in tiramisu?” I responded with…. “Lady fingers, mascarpone cheese, sugar, rum, espresso, and cocoa.” I know all sorts of random information about food, so it was natural for me to respond this way. We came to the conclusion we could definitely make this.
So we did. And it turned out just as good, if not better, than any tiramisu we’ve ever had. Not to mention, this masterpiece was created in one try!
Here’s the recipe!
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons rum (we used 3 Tbsp coffee flavored and 2 Tbsp almond flavored)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger cookies
- unsweetened cocoa powder (to sprinkle over for garnishing)
- Bar of dark chocolate (to shave over for garnishing)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise and drizzle with coffee mixture.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7×11 inch dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers.
- Cover and let set in the refrigerator, for about 24 hours.
- Prior to serving, shave chocolate and sprinkle cocoa over the top per piece (this prevents the cocoa and chocolate from becoming soggy in the fridge).
– Can’t find mascarpone cheese? Use regular cream cheese.
– We found the lady fingers at World Market.
– If you can’t find lady fingers, some say pound cake or angel food cake works well. Google it.
– Our “rum” was actually flavored tequila-liqueur that we got on our honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta. Sounds weird, but it is amazing. Coffee flavored and almond flavored, to boot.
– I actually think we could get away with one more tablespoon of rum/liqueur/tequila. You can never have too much liquor.
How about some photos of our tiramisu adventure?
|I love my Kitchen Aid pink hand mixer. I want the stand mixer, though!|
|Our “tequila” from Puerto Vallarta. Shots must be consumed while preparing this.|
|Dexter likes lady fingers. And mascarpone cheese. And whipped cream. So, basically, tiramisu is his favorite dessert. I have never in my life seen a cat beg for cookies, but this creature did. We won’t mention the time he got into my Sprinkles cupcake…|
You guys have to try this recipe. You will not regret it!