This Saturday (June 3rd, y’all!) I have a birthday coming up! It’s weird to think that I’m in my mid-thirties now. Talk about feeling old.
I thought it would be fun to do a post where you get to know me better. I’ve done a few posts like these before, but since then I have gotten more readers and followers. I love reading posts like these, and I had a lot of fun coming up with this list! In honor of me turning 34 this week, I’ve come up with a list of 34 things you may not know about me. I must say, it’s kind of hard to think about 34 things about yourself, but I’m glad I spent the time to do it. So… let’s get right to it.
34 things you may not know about me
- I am left-handed.
- I am classically trained singer (who’s very out of practice) and took piano lessons for eight years.
- On that note (pun intended), I used to sing with the Houston Symphony Chorus.
- I majored in Theatre and minored in Music. I then got my teaching certification because I wanted to be in arts education.
- I just finished my 10th year of teaching in public school (yes, I started teaching when I was 23!). I taught and directed 8 years of high school theatre, and the past two years I spent teaching part-time 6th grade theatre.
- I taught for 8 years at the high school I attended.
- I was my university’s Homecoming Queen my senior year of college.
- I completed one year of grad school but left to pursue the teaching job I ended up having for 8 years. I don’t think I’ll ever go back.
- Greg and I met at a mutual friends’ wedding in Massachusetts. Greg went to Baylor (yes, out of state from Massachusetts), and so did his childhood friend. His friend then met my friend, and they got married.. and we met at their wedding.
- We spent our honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- We own a purebred Abyssinian cat named Dexter.
- I’ve always loved makeup, but I really started absorbing myself in it after some stage makeup / technique classes in college.
- My older daughter, Kennedy, has a coloboma of the iris. If you’re new around here, you’ve probably not known/noticed. It is a rare birth mark in her eye that makes her pupil appear keyhole-shaped. I’ve written about this a few times on my blog – here, here, and here.
- I hate the feel of unfinished wood (i.e. popsicle sticks, wooden spoons). It’s like nails down a chalkboard for me.
- I’m not the biggest fan of mushrooms. Except, if it’s on pizza, I like it.
- I have done three rounds of Whole30.
- My favorite movie of all time is The Sound of Music.
- One of my bucket list items in life was to go on The Sound of Music tour in Salzburg, Austria. I checked that off last summer and it was everything!
- I don’t love donuts. I mean, if it’s there, I’ll eat it. But I never think, “Man I could really go for a donut.” Too much sugar in the morning, and they make my stomach hurt.
- I was born in Corpus Christi, TX – the home of Selena. Bidi bidi bom bom #SelenaPorVida
- I am addicted to sparkling water. I must have it in the house at all times. No sugary drinks for me, but I love carbonated water.
- I own over 100 lipsticks. DON’T JUDGE ME.
- I have visited 11 countries outside of the U.S.
- I have 20/20 vision. But I really like wearing my blue light blocking glasses. You’ve probably seen me wearing them on Snapchat / IG Stories a lot!
- I’ve had braces twice. The second time they were just on my bottom teeth, though. Moral of the story: wear your retainer. Oh, and also don’t go to an orthodontist who ends up getting ran over by his wife in a hotel parking lot.
- You know how that old wives tale about how if you have heartburn, your baby is going to have a lot of hair? I had the worst heartburn EVER with Caroline. I’ll just leave this photo right here.
- Sharpie pens are my favorite pens.
- Greg is a CPA, and he does all the books for my blog. He’s my CFO.
- I taught myself HTML, CSS, and Photoshop. It has come in handy running a blog.
- I paint my nails once a week while watching trashy reality TV.
- I watch YouTube every single night before bed. It is my NyQuil.
- I studied abroad in London for a summer when I was in college. It was one of the best summers of my life!
- Y’all probably know we travel a ton with our kids. We have been on over 30 flights with children since Kennedy was born. Our favorite “big” city to travel to with my kids is Washington, D.C. It’s very stroller friendly (especially the subway) with lots of free things to do.
- My favorite role to play onstage was Sally Bowles in Cabaret. I starred in that in college.
Cheers to 34!