Updated December 4, 2018
Working at home has its advantages. Flexible schedule, I can be there for my kids whenever they need me, no set hours to have to adhere to. I’m my own boss, and if I don’t hustle I don’t get paid. It means working unconventional hours (like now, how I’m typing this post up while watching my littlest in her dance class), staying on as best of a schedule as possible, and knowing your priorities.
I decided this school year that I refuse to let cleaning the house worry me. It’s always been a struggle to clean the house. It all started when I was a full-time working mom. I could never ever keep up. It somehow hasn’t gotten any easier. At the end of the day, I refuse to think I can do it all. That includes cleaning!
So, what I did was hire a cleaning service to come once a month to take care of the deep cleaning for us. Surely I can take care of the light cleaning. At least that’s what I tell myself.
In between our deep cleanings, there are a few busy mom cleaning hacks that I swear by. Anything to help keep the house from looking like a total disaster, am I right?
My Favorite Busy Mom Cleaning Hacks
- Wrinkle release spray is a lifesaver. Because who really likes to iron or has time to throw a shirt in the dryer for ten minutes?
- Magic erasers truly do erase all problems. From crayon marks on the wall to tile grout, they truly do work miracles!
- Using daily shower cleaner spray really does help keep the shower looking fresh in between those deep cleanings.
- Keep Clorox wipes under the sink in bathrooms. If the countertops start looking a little dirty, I do a quick wipe down.
- I recently learned this trick and love it. Microwave a bowl of vinegar and water for 4-5 minutes, and then once you take it out, you can wipe off any hardened food and/or grease that has stuck to the microwave.
- Throw kitchen sponges in the dishwasher or washing machine to clean them. You’ll go much longer before having to replace them.
- Clean up white Converse by throwing them in the washing machine with some detergent and a little bleach. Make sure to tie the laces beforehand! They come out looking brand new.
- A microfiber duster is awesome to have on hand for quick dusting, and all you need to do is throw it in the washing machine when it gets dirty.
- Knowing how to master the 5-minute quick clean up really saves you in a time of panic. Wipe counters, throw things in storage and light some candles. Boom. Perfectly clean house.
- Invest in a bObsweep PetHair Plus Robotic Vacuum Cleaner. We recently did some big renovations to our home, one being ceramic wood look tile on the entire first floor. It’s absolutely gorgeous and nearly indestructible. Since the entire level is tile, we had to switch up the way we clean the floor. No more carpet = no more traditional vacuuming. bObsweep sent us the PetHair Plus robotic vacuum cleaner, and this is my favorite way to clean – not actually cleaning!
Bob does an amazing job of sweeping up our tile. It has 4x boosted suction power, has an add-on wet mop, and can cover 1000 square feet for 75 minutes in one cleaning! We love having him around the house and put him to work multiple times a week.
What are your favorite ways to keep your house clean when you’re short on time?